Friday, July 8, 2011

Dental BFFs? Um, no.

Thursday was the girls 3rd EVER dentist appointment. The last 2 appointments I have had to go back with them (see post "Avey Does" ) I was not very good this go round at giving them ample notification of this visit. I was meaning to tell them a few days in advance and play "dentist" to get them used to the idea and to hopefully get them to go back by themselves so they could actually get their teeth cleaned. When I have to go back with them they only get an exam no cleaning.

Thursday morning came faster then I expected and when Avery asked, "What we do-inn today, Mama?" I said, "Oh!?! Today we have a dentist appointment." Avery immediately protested with her usual whine/cry, "Noooooo, I don't want to go to the dentist......" "sorry that's what we are going to do, but then we are going to get lunch at McDonald's and head to the zoo with your friend Kenzie!" This did not warm her up so I dropped it and continued to get us all ready. Periodically (like every 30 minutes or so) we would have THAT SAME conversation almost verbatim except sometimes Emerson would join in and try to convince Avery that it would be fine...Thank you Emerson! Oh and the other variation was Avery would ask if, "you go back with us. Right, Mama?" And I would say, "yes, I will go back with you if you need me to."

We finally arrive at the dentist's office and the girls are excited to play in the VW Bug in the waiting room. Yes the dentist's office has an actual VW Bug in the waiting room. While I am sitting there letting them play I have an epiphany: wonder if Avery will go back by her self if I ask the staff to not touch her without permission.... "Hey Avery. If you go back by your self you get lots of cool stuff. Stickers, coins to get a prize, coupons for free apple dippers at McDonald's, new toothbrush. If you want I can ask the staff to ask you for permission before touching you?" Avery says, "Ok." A few seconds later the door opens and the lady says,
"Avery and Emerson?"
I ask the lady if she can ask all the staff to ask Avery permission before touching her? Emerson too, but especially Avery.
"oh no problem. We always explain and then do."
"No, that's not good enough. You need to explain, then ASK 'can I____' and then wait for a yes, then DO."
"oh, ok. Yes. I will make sure I am the one who works with Avery so that happens."
And they headed in with her like they've done it all their lives.

Every time the door opened I was expecting to hear, "Avery and Emerson's mom?" but I didn't then this lady pokes her head out the window where you sign in and says, "Emerson and Avery are doing so good they want to get their growth and development Xrays. Is that ok?" um, yeah! Sure....who are these kids?

The staff said they did great and as long as you asked Avery she always said yes. They also said that the Dentist for got to ask once and Avery promptly schooled him on his error.

As I was leaving I over heard a tech talking about one of them. She said that one of the other techs was keeping Avery company while they were waiting for the xrays to finish. She was chatting with Avery and said, "so we are best friends now right?" and Avery replied, "ummmm, maybe tomorrow." Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment